Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Bondcliff, Mount Bond, West Bond, #41-43!



























 On Wednesday, March 10, I took the day off from work to do this hike.  22.2 miles was certainly daunting so I wanted perfect weather conditions and I needed to heal all my soreness from Adams and Madison, which was the sorest I have been from a hike (thanks to the speed I got from Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now!") The place on my butt that hurt from hitting a big ice chunk on Vally Way was still sore so I did not bring a sled.  I could barely sit down still, let alone sled.

I had tried to leave my house at 6:15 but did not end up getting out until about 7:00 am.  This hike's book time is 12.5 hours and I did not want to be too long in the dark.  I ended up beginning at 8:00.  I started on XC skis, for the first 5 miles.  The trail was super icy and this was not an advantage.  There were others walking and I was not really faster.  I had to keep taking my skis off and putting them on for water crossing, steep hills to bridges etc.  After 2.9 miles the going got tougher and I thought maybe I should have left my skis there as the trail was narrower and windy but I also needed to leave them somewhere I would remember and find them so I kept going, until I had gone a bit onto the BondCliff trail.  The narrow trail was the only place that you wouldn't sink up to my thighs so I could not even stash them. I left them on the side of the trail with my ski boots in a plastic bag next to them.  Would they still be there when I returned?

I have not done much XC skiing at all this winter as all of my time has been devoted to hiking and recovering from hiking.  On this past Sunday I skied a bit on the lake, and my inner thighs and other places were sore from the short effort.  I knew this did not bode well for 10 miles of skiing on this hike but it was too late to do anything about that.

As I started the hike up Bond Cliff, I told myself it was only 4 miles to the first peak.  Breaking down the hike in doable chunks helped.  There were some steep places and sidehills but overall this is not too bad of a hike other than the sheer distance (22.2!).  I passed a man coming down and a man going up (who I surprisingly never saw again!)  Neither one looked like they would fit in my ski boots.  The views from BondCliff were outstanding!  Bond, however, looked farther away than I had expected, but Marlene says they always look farther than they are.  There was nothing for it but to keep going.  Now I told myself 2 miles to the turnaround point.  I can do 2 miles, right?  The hike above treeline was very shiny icy immediately off the narrow tread path.  Thank goodness there was a broken trail.  It was quite steep up to Mount Bond but not the worst I have ever seen.  Once there, we looked around but then kept going to West Bond.  This trail, between Mount Bond and West Bond, would have been good for snowshoes, but I was already carrying enough with the ski equipment (not now) so I had not brought them. It was totally doable but the snow was softer, deeper, and in the trees. Even had I brought them, I probably would not have taken the time to change into them, so I made the right decision.  

Once on the West Bond trail, I could not believe how far away and how high West Bond's peak was.  Surely that glimpse I had of it was really a farther-off peak?!  But it was only .4 and then I made it halfway.  The views were amazing.  Did I mention that there was barely a cloud in the sky?  There was some wind, but I did not even need to wear a jacket, hat nor neck warmer for this entire hike.  A lot of the time, I did not even wear mittens or gloves!  I did pass some boys on the way back who were bundled in hoods and goggles so maybe it was me?  I do not think so.

11.1 miles.  I was tired and sore and had bagged the 3 peaks, but I still had to get back.  A helicopter seemed like a nice daydream. But onward ho, every step was a step closer to the end now.  From when I had gotten in the car, I was listening to an audiobook:  Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.  Slow going but makes more sense the more I listen. I thought of just quitting this book.  What is the point?  I will have to give it some thought but no energy for thought now. At this point, I knew my phone battery was not going to make it the whole hike but I needed some energy.  I tried to sing my new favorite Queen song while listening to the book but that did not really work.  I was too lazy to stop and change to tunes.  The uphill to Bond was tough. I had blisters on the back of my ankles.  Probably started because my minus 33 socks are too big but maybe there is something worn in the back of my boot?  I changed my socks.   I will have to check the back of my boots.  Later. On downhills, the bottom of my boot is sliding forward, is that a toe blister forming?  This is the hardest part, once I get to Bond Cliff it will be all downhill or flat from there, must keep going.  I never thought but I peaked 5 mountains today!  Bond and Bondcliff twice each!  Coming down from Bond should be illegal!  Steep, on the side of a cliff, icy!  You must stay on the narrow path or death. Although sinking down deep as soon as you step off might save your life while you break your leg.  How do you get down if you are injured?  Do a lot of people have to be rescued from here?  In between Bond and Bondcliff, some nice boys bundled in hoods and goggles! stepped aside to let me go by and I fell right in front of them!  lol

Coming down from Bondcliff was only 4 miles. (could I make it under 40 minutes...no) I ran quite a bit of it.  I did not run the narrow side of the cliff trail,  in some places only 6 inches wide and I could see where a lot of people stepped a bit wider and fell down into a deep post hole. I did change to music here for a short while as I needed the energy but my phone died somewhere on this section.  The short slight uphills killed the blisters on the back of my heels, I could avoid them when going downhill.  I fell more than I can count, by running and then post-holing far down, but the landings were thankfully soft.  I was in so much pain at this point.  I barely ate on this hike and I could not bear to eat at all at this point. I maybe ate 1 egg with a bit of cheese and bacon and only a few dried mangoes.  This was the first time I took dried mango, or anything other than egg bacon and cheese. I thought the sheer distance would necessitate some more food but no.  I was shaky and dizzy.  Where the hell was the end of this 4-mile stretch and my skis?  It went on and on.

I finally found my skis right where I left them.  It was hard to change my shoes, bend over and I wanted to throw up. Skiing back seemed faster than coming in.  The snow had softened, not so icy. I was faster than walkers! I still had to take the skis on and off occasionally and I was so stiff sore and awkward I could barely ski but I was making progress!  The last 3 miles of the ski were firmer so I could pole, although many times my poles stuck hard and fast and I had to fight to get them back. I fell a few times too. Especially in the first 2 miles where the poles were useless. The first 2 miles made my arms and wrists hurt from my sinking poles.  The last 3 miles would have been fun if I was not in so much agony.  Sometimes I could even just pole or just stand there.  There were a few uphills too.  It was hard work and seemed like 10 miles but I finally made it back to my wonderful truck.  I drove home but this was definitely impaired driving.  Surprised I did not get pulled over and breath tested.  Had I had to get out of the truck and walk I would have failed.

Start: 8:00

BondCliff trail started at 10:00

Bondcliff peak at 12:30

Mount Bond summit at 1:08

West Bond summit at 1:58  Stopped to eat

Mount Bond summit at 3:00?

BondCliff summit at 3:45

Bottom of Bond cliff trail: 4:45.  Wish I had taken a pic of my skis, for posterity and time stamp

talked to some people coming off Owls Head and some people I had seen in the morning.  Did not see them on Bonds so maybe they did Owls Head too?

Back at the truck: 6:00  Home at 7:00, took the bread out of the freezer, put my homeade chicken veggie soup on the stovetop, hot tub, dinner, painful bed, too tired for snacks or dessert.

Total time 10 hours.  Book time 12.5

I basically did a triathlon of skiing, hiking, and running.  This felt kind of good to use different muscles but made me more tired and sore since everything hurt.  However, recovery seems faster as no muscles were taxed as much as they would have been.  Coming down I decided I would not do my Carter's to Wildcats traverse as I will never hike again, but now, not a day later, I know I will. Maybe in 3 days as the weather looks best on Saturday.  Will I be recovered enough to do so?

Thinking about the Bonds now, I realize that this view will forever change me. And to know that I am capable of anything. All by myself. I am strong and determined. 

I love driving now. I am more aware of the mountains than ever. Their enormity and I recognize them. Once you hike their contours, you can recognize them. Even from a distance. 

I read somewhere recently that awe is a more powerful cure than any drug from anxiety. And since they’re two sides of the same coin, depression too. Now I better understand people who spend so much time in the mountains. Self medicating. I think it’s medicine for everything. The earth heals

No comments:

Post a Comment